Tuesday, November 10, 2009

MORE ADULT THAN MEETS THE EYE

There is a new series from IDW Publishing called Transformers: Best of the UK. It is collecting the original British stories from the Marvel weekly series which began in the 1980s.

The odd thing is it is clearly marked, "Not intended for anyone under the age of 13". I wonder what IDW are thinking? I looked through the thing, and it's big robots hitting each other, changing into trucks, alien lizard weirdoes running around; all the usual stuff. I can't imagine what they would be concerned about.

The labelling is a surprise, and surely a change from when these stories were originally published. Those comics were sat on the shelves alongside Eagle, 2000ad, Star Wars Weekly and other kid-friendly material.

I remember reading those Transformers comics well. Here is a young artist's work published in an issue way back when...

(I wanted to draw a picture from the toys; not copy a drawing from the comic. My only access to a photo of the toys was in the Kays catalogue, and Skywarp was the toy featured therein.)

No comments:

Post a Comment