Sunday, March 06, 2011

KRAZY KAT by Sherrie Levine

I picked up a book by the name of "Objects for the Ideal Home: The Legacy of Pop Art" recently.
In it was this piece:



This is not by George Herriman, but by Sherrie Levine. As with Lichenstein's work, I am quite ignorant as to why I should be impressed by this. They handily explain what Levine is up to though. For a larger version, click on this image...













Nope. I don't get it. I'm too invested in the original material to take this seriously. I love Herriman, and consider his Tiger Tea storyline somewhat of a masterpiece.
I can understand Pop Art when Warhol is blowing up washing powder boxes as I don't consider them art in the first place, but when the process is performed on Herriman, it's an insult.

No comments:

Post a Comment