Thursday, August 27, 2009

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY HULK

When I was growing up the Hulk came on TV every week in the guises of Bill Bixby and Lou Ferrigno. I loved this show and it triggered an affection for the character that lasts to today.

And today(ish), Marvel Comics have published #600 of their monthly Incredible Hulk comic. I've decided to use this as an excuse to pay tribute to the big green one, and my favourites of the people who have brought him to life.

I've got to start with co-creators Stan Lee and Jack Kirby. And furthermore, I really want to! When I was a kid, I was given a great paperback collection which reprinted the first six issues from 1962. I'm grateful for that as I now consider these "the real deal" Hulk, comics-wise. Lee and Kirby made it, and it was great.

This page is really nice. I love the sense of movement Kirby gets into it. The Hulk's take off in panel 3 (how about those rocks spitting off the ground?). You can feel his weight in space in panels 4 and 5 (and I love the reaction of the character seeing the Hulk for the first time: "WHAT IS -- THAT??!").

And then we have a great example of comics showing you something without showing you it at all. The moment of contact between the Hulk and the Human Cannonball between the bottom 2 panels. That is pure comics at work.

More Hulk goodness to come...

No comments:

Post a Comment